Senior Voice -

Senior Voice Staff 

Free tax assistance available at sites around the state


This year, AARP Foundation is again providing free tax assistance and preparation for taxpayers with low to moderate income through the AARP Foundation Tax-Aide program. AARP Foundation Tax-Aide, in its 45th year, is the nation’s largest free tax assistance and preparation service, giving special attention those 60 and older. You do not need to be a member of AARP or a retiree to use this free service.

In 2013, AARP Foundation Tax-Aide’s 35,000 volunteers at nearly 6,000 sites provided 2.6 million people with free tax help. Taxpayers who used AARP Foundation Tax-Aide received $1.3 billion in income tax refunds and more than $244 million in Earned Income Tax Credits (EITCs).

Below are the dates and hours for the 27 sites throughout Alaska. Individuals can also visit or call 1-888-AARPNOW (1-888-227-7669). AARP Foundation Tax-Aide is offered in conjunction with the IRS.

For additional information on “Super Saturday” sites in Anchorage, individuals can call the Alaska 211 referral line by dialing 2-1-1 or toll free 1-800-478-2221.


      Anchorage Senior Activity Center, 1300 East 19th Ave. Mondays and Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Closed Feb. 17 for President’s Day.

      NE Muldoon Community Center, 1251 North Muldoon Road. Saturdays, 1 to 4 p.m .; Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1 to 6 p.m. Thai speaker available.

First Free Methodist Church, 4607 East 6th Ave. Tuesdays, 6 to 8 p.m. Spanish interpreter available.

Spenard Rec Center, 2020 West 48th Ave. Tuesdays, 1 to 6 p.m.

Crosspoint Community Church, 1920 West Dimond (next to Jo-Ann Fabrics). Tuesdays, 1 to 6 pm and Sat., March 29, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Credit Union 1 – Mountain View, 115 North Bragaw Street. Wednesdays and Fridays, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

AARP Alaska State Office, Frontier Building, 3601 C Street, Conference Room 1404. Wednesdays, noon to 5 p.m.

University of Alaska Anchorage, Rasmuson Hall (BEB) Room 207. Thursdays, 1 to 6 p.m. (closed March 14). Public must pay for parking on campus on Thursdays.

Salvation Army Community Center, 1701 C Street. Feb. 22 only, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. 

University Center, 3901 Old Seward Highway (south end of the mall). April 15 only, noon to 10 p.m.

Chugiak/Eagle River

Chugiak-Eagle River Senior Center, 22424 N. Birchwood Loop Road. Wednesdays, noon to 4 p.m .; Saturday, Feb. 8, 15, 22 and March 1 only, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.


Wasilla Senior Center, 1301 Century Circle. Mondays, 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Call 376-3104 for appointment; walk-ins also welcome. Closed Feb. 17 and March 31.

Mat-Su Evangelical Church, 5201 East Mayflower Lane (located about Mile 7 Palmer-Wasilla Highway). Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 746-6113 for appointment; walk-ins also welcome.


Mat-Su Senior Services, 1132 S. Chugach. Thursdays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 745-5454 for appointment; walk-ins also welcome.


Mid-Valley Senior Center, 11975 West Mid Valley Way. Feb. 4, Feb. 25, March 4, and March 18 only, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call 892-6114 after 10:30 a.m. for appointment; walk-ins also welcome.


Upper Su Senior Center, 16463 E Helena. Feb. 18, March 11, and April 15 only, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 746-6113 for appointment; walk-ins also welcome.

Trapper Creek

Trapper Creek Community Center, near Mile 115.4 Parks Highway. Feb. 11 and April 8 only, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 746-6113 for appointment; walk-ins also welcome.


Sterling Senior Center, 34453 Sterling Highway. Walk-ins on Tuesdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Appointments also available on Saturday, Feb. 8, March 8 and April 12. For appointment, call 262-6808.


Valdez Consortium Library, 260 Fairbanks. Tuesdays, 4 to 7 p.m. and Fridays, 3 to 5 p.m. By appointment only; call 835-5914. Spanish interpreter available with advance notice.


Noel Wien Library, 1215 Cowles Street. Saturdays, noon to 3 p.m. and Tuesdays, 4 to 7 p.m. No appointment necessary; walk-ins welcome. Spanish interpreter available.

Fairbanks Senior Center, 1424 Moore Street. Thursdays, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. By appointment only; call 452-1735.


Homer Senior Center, 3935 Svedlund Street. Mondays and Wednesdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. By appointment only; call 235-7655.


Seward Senior Center, 336 Third Avenue. Mondays and Wednesdays, 8 to 10 a.m. and 2 to 4 p.m .; Tuesdays, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Call 224-5604 for appointment; walk-ins also welcome.


University of Alaska Southeast, 1332 Seward Ave., Room 226. Wednesdays, 5 to 8:30 p.m. No appointment necessary; walk-ins welcome.

Swan Lake Senior Center, 402 Lake Street. Wednesdays, noon to 4:30 p.m. By appointment only; call 747-8617.


Juneau has no Tax-Aide sites for 2014


Ketchikan Public Library, 1110 Copper Ridge Lane. Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. No appointment necessary; walk-ins welcome.


Nolan Center, 1096 Outer Drive. Saturdays, 1 to 5 p.m. No appointment necessary; walk-ins welcome.

What to bring to the appointment

As a taxpayer, you should bring the following documents with you:

• Government issued photo identification, such as a driver’s license, for all adult taxpayers.

• Social Security cards or other official documentation for yourself and all dependents.

• Last year’s tax return.

• If you want to do a direct deposit of any refund(s), bring your checkbook or the deposit information showing the routing number and account number.


• W-2 from each employer.

• Unemployment compensation statements.

• SSA-1099 form showing the total Social Security benefits paid to you for the year, or Form RRB-1099

• Tier 1 Railroad Retirement benefits.

• 1099 forms reporting interest (1099-INT), dividends (1099-DIV), proceeds from sales (1099-B), as well as documentation showing the original purchase price of your sold assets.

• 1099-R form if you received a pension or annuity, especially if you had a portion withheld for income tax purposes.

• 1099-MISC form showing any miscellaneous income.


Bring all forms and canceled checks indicating federal tax paid (including quarterly estimated tax payments).


Most taxpayers have a choice of taking either a standard deduction or itemizing their deductions. If you have a substantial amount of deductions, you may want to itemize. You will need to bring the following information:

• 1098 form showing any home mortgage interest.

• Receipts or canceled checks for medical/dental expenses (including doctor and hospital bills and medical insurance premiums), receipts for prescription medicines, costs of assisted living services and bills for home improvements, such as ramps and railings for people with disabilities.

• Receipts for contributions to charity.

• Receipts or canceled checks for all tax income and property taxes you paid, as well as records of tax refunds.


Dependent care provider information (name, address and employer ID or Social Security number).

Education expense documentation such as receipts, canceled checks, 1099-T forms, and student account printout related to college or continuing education.


Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021

Rendered 05/18/2022 21:58