September brings autumn and health fairs
Alaska Health Fair, Inc., kicks off their fall series of health fairs around the state this month, featuring free health screenings and education, low cost blood tests and more. These tests can help you learn about your health and detect potential problems early, when treatment or changes in personal habits can be most effective.
A complete and comprehensive chemistry/hematology test is available for only $45; with 27 different panels for conditions ranging from diabetes, kidney and liver function, to anemia and tissue health, thyroid, prostate, bone metabolism, coronary heart disease, and much more. (You should fast for 12 hours prior to this test.) There are also tests to check thyroid function ($30), prostate disease ($25), A1C blood glucose ($25), Vitamin D level ($50) and a blood type test ($20).
What can you expect at a health fair event? As outlined on the Alaska Health Fair website, http://www.alaskahealthfair.org:
• Stop at meet and greet for a welcome packet to include fliers, forms, pens and more. Take a moment to ask questions and get guidance about specific events.
• Have your blood pressure and height/weight/body mass index taken to help with initial screening.
• Visit blood test registration to pay for tests that you’re interested in. Payment can be by check, cash, Visa, MasterCard.
• Have your blood drawn by one of the on-site medical professionals. Confidential results are sent directly to you in seven to ten days. The medical professional will also give you a call if something is abnormally out of range.
• Grab some refreshments offered by event sponsors.
• Visit additional screenings such as vision, skin cancer, hearing and more.
• Talk to exhibitors, who have brought their knowledge, displays, handouts and freebies to help you learn about important health topics.
• Talk in private with a health professional about your health concerns.
This month’s health fairs will be held at the following locations and times. For more information, call 907-278-0234 (Anchorage); 907-374-6853 (Fairbanks) or visit http://www.alaskahealthfair.org.
Sept. 10 Juneau Health Fair, Nugget Mall, 8745 Glacier Hwy., Juneau. 8 a.m. to noon. Includes flu shots.
Sept. 17 Mat-Su Valley Health Fair, 11975 West Mid-Valley Way, Houston. 8 a.m. to noon. Includes flu shots.
Sept. 17 Unalaska Family Health Fair at elementary school, Unalaska. Time TBA.
Sept. 24 Delta Junction Health Fair – Delta Elementary School, 2659 Nistler Rd., Delta Junction. 8 a.m. to noon. Includes flu shots.
Sept. 29 Ted Stevens International Airport Health Fair (in baggage claim level), Anchorage. 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Oct. 1 Chugiak-Eagle River Senior Center Health Fair, 22424 N. Birchwood Loop, Chugiak. 8 a.m. to noon. Includes flu shots.
Oct. 1 St. John’s United Methodist Church Health Fair, 1801 O’Malley Rd., Anchorage. 8 a.m. to noon. Includes flu shots.